Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Table Topper Tutorial

This is a short tutorial description on how I made these table toppers.
1) Choose front and back fabrics based on your Dresden Plate colors. These were sunflowers made for the glass tables on our porch, but they could be for holidays, etc.
2) Size is up to you. These are 16" diameter finished. This size fits the tables and I used a round chair pad for the pattern. The Dresden blades are the 5" size with a 3 1/2" center.
3) Make your Dresden design using your best piecing technics but don't add the center yet. Press all of course.
4) With right sides together, sew entirely around the circle fabrics, 1/4" seam. Don't leave an opening and no need to clip seams. NOTE - There is NO batting in these.
5) Make a slit in the TOP fabric for turning . Don't fret, the Dresden will cover this.
6) Stick your hand inside and pull thru the opening. Smooth out the round edge from inside then press neatly on the outside.
7) Center the Dresden on the front over the turning slit. See! It's gone! I held it in place using iron on fusible tape. Easier than pinning for me. Also, add the center piece at this time, fusible tape as well.
8) Edge stitch around the center circle. I used the blanket stich cam.
9) Edge stitch around the blades. I used zigzag.
10) Edge stitch around the topper. I used the cam that makes a little pine tree on these. You could zigzag all of these if you wanted to. That's what I did on my first ones. Still looks cute!

1 comment:

  1. Cute Ma! Glad your passing along all your sewing wisdom. God knows I didn't get that gene! Love, B

    ReplyDelete